“EMBEDPL2” — Embedment Strength of stud plate
“EMBEDPL2.xls” is a MS-Excel spreadsheet workbook for the analysis of (2) Headed Concrete Anchors,
HCA, per ACI 318-08, Appendix D. The spreadsheet is designed to find the embedment strength in
concrete for the required plate within certain concrete parameters. The spreadsheet is protected
but with no password required.
Program Environment: Office Excel 2003
Creation Date: February 17th, 2011
Design References: 1. ACI 318-08
2. PCI Design Handbook, 6th Edition
This program is a workbook consisting of two (2) worksheets, described as follows:
Worksheet Name Description
DOC This documentation sheet
EMBEDPL (2) Embedment Strength of (2) stud plate
Program Assumptions and Limitations:
- This spreadsheet program is intended to analyze and design the embedment of four headed concrete anchors
affixed to a rigid plate. Shear and tension embedment strength is calculated per Appendix D of ACI 318.
The bearing capacity is calculated per Section 10 & 11 of ACI 318.
- This program assumes that the anchor strength is not governed by ductile yielding of the anchored steel
which would cause significant redistribution of anchor forces and that the attachment that distributes the
loads to the anchors is sufficiently stiff.
- The required strength is calculated from the applicable load combinations in Section 9.2.
- This spreadsheet, as well as the provisions of Appendix D, do not apply to the design of anchors in hinge
zones of concrete structures under seismic loads.
- This program assumes that the studs are not post-tensioned, post-installed, or torqued controlled anchors.
However for conservative calculations, the minimum edge distance required uses limitation for torque controlled
anchors (actual minimum edge distance per section 7.7)
- This program assumes that the member clear cover is 2 inches for the purpose of punching shear calculations.
- This program does not afford entry of eccentricity in the z-axis.
- This program does not account for strength of the plate itself or the welding affixing the studs to the plate.
- This program contains numerous “comment boxes” which contain a wide variety of information including
explanations of input or output items, equations used, data tables, etc. (Note: presence of a “comment box”
is denoted by a “red triangle” in the upper right-hand corner of a cell. Merely move the mouse pointer to the
desired cell to view the contents of that particular “comment box”.)