“Anchor Bolt(318-08).xls” is a MS-Excel spreadsheet workbook for the analysis of anchor bolt anchorage per
ACI 318-08, Appendix D. The spreadsheet is designed to find the embedment strength of a determined anchor
bolt or bolts within certain concrete parameters. Tables and figures have been given adjacent to the required
data cells in an attempt to self contain the calculations within the worksheet. The spreadsheet is protected
but with no password required.
Program Environment: Microsoft Office Excel 2003
Creation Date: May 20th, 2008
Design References: 1. ACI 318-08
2. Strength Design of Anchorage to Concrete by Ronald A. Cook
This program is a workbook consisting of four (4) worksheets, described as follows:
Worksheet Name Description
Doc This documentation sheet
Anchorage Embedment Strength per ACI 318-08 Appendix D
Tension Reinf. Anchor Reinforcement per ACI 318-08 Section D.5.2.9
Shear Reinf. Anchor Reinforcement per ACI 318-08 Section D.6.2.9
REVISION 1.4: Revised “Anchorage” worksheet from reviewing comments.
Program Assumptions and Limitations:
- This spreadsheet program is intended to analyze and design the embedment of various anchors.
Shear and tension strength is calculated per Appendix D of ACI 318.
- This program assumes that the anchor strength is not governed by ductile yielding of the anchored steel
which would cause significant redistribution of anchor forces and that the attachment that distributes the
loads to the anchors is sufficiently stiff.
- The required strength is calculated from the applicable load combinations in Section 9.2.
- This spreadsheet, as well as the provisions of Appendix D, do not apply to the design of anchors in hinge
zones of concrete structures under seismic loads.
- Post-installed anchors shall be verified for suitability for use in concrete demonstrated by the ACI 355.2
prequalification tests when installed for use in regions of moderate or high seismic risk, or for structrures
assigned to intermediate or high seismic performance or design catefories.
- If a ACI 355.2 product evaluation report is used, this program does not account for alternative factors and needs
to be calculated by user.
- In TENSION REINF. spreadsheet, the edge distance is not in the program’s parameters. User must be mindful
that the maximum distance between the anchor and anchor reinforcement must be less than or equal to 0.5 x hef
AND (ED – bc). The latter is not restricted and must be checked by the user.
- In TENSION REINF. spreadsheet, if the edge distance is less than 1.5 x hef, containment steel such as stirrups
must be used.
- This program contains numerous “comment boxes” which contain a wide variety of information including
explanations of input or output items, equations used, data tables, etc. (Note: presence of a “comment box”
is denoted by a “red triangle” in the upper right-hand corner of a cell. Merely move the mouse pointer to the
desired cell to view the contents of that particular “comment box”.)